Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sweet Enlightenment

http://community.livejournal.com/bakebakebake/1048087.html
http://www.allthingsheartandhome.com/2010/03/26/chocolate-chip-banana-cake-2/
          In the section Indonesia I think that Gilbert is a lot more self aware. She talks about herself in the form of a cake. Gilbert says, "That basically [she's] the cake that just came out of the oven, and it still needs some more time to cool before it can be frosted. [She doesn't] want to cheat [herself] out of this precious time. [She doesn't] want to lose control of [her] life again."(Gilbert, 284). I feel like Gilbert is trying to show that it takes time to reach the highest point. When she is ready it will come and be sweet- so to speak. She knows how to control her life now and everything is starting to go her way. I feel like in the Indonesia section of this book Gilbert is finding her way to enlightenment. 
           The mood has changed in Indonesia from India in a positive way. In India Gilbert was still a little lost and not knowing how to focus and meditate. In Indonesia Gilbert is more focused and working on the small things. When she meets Ketut it seems that her whole attitude turns around. She is able to be more friendly and free going. Gilbert is letting go of control and is letting things come naturally to her. For example Gilbert said, "I've been here only a few weeks and I feel a rather mission-accomplished sensation already. The task in Indonesia was to search for balance, but I dont feel like I'm searching for anything anymore because the balance has somehow naturally come into place." (259). She is telling herself that instead of pushing like to find this sense of inner awareness immediately that she has to take time and experience it and let it come naturally without being stressed while finding it.

2 comments:

  1. Hannah this is great! My post was very similar because I talked about her being more self aware in indonesia as well. She's getting a sense of who she is and I think by then end of the book she has found herself. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the images, Hannah! They add so much. Let's show your blog in class. Also, remember to just cite the source for pics you take from other websites, unless they are CopyLeft images (we'll go over that in class). :)

    ReplyDelete