Saturday, September 18, 2010

Wishing Time Away.


My first year of summer camp was to a camp is called Cheley Colorado Camps it is in Estes Park, CO in the middle of the beautiful rocky mountains. I was only 10 at the time and almost half way across the country from my parents. I was terrified that something would happen to them while I was at camp, or how badly I missed them and my pets. Almost every night I would go to bed thinking about being home in my own bed with my own shower and eating when I wanted to. What I was missing is that this camp only comes once a year and is only 4 weeks long, I should enjoy every moment here. Once that happened camp flashed before my eyes and it was over and time to go home, and to my surprise I was not ready to go home.

Over the next 7 years I continued to go back to Cheley because I learned to overcome those thoughts and I took everyday there like it was my last, and living in the moment. And I have never had so much fun.

11 comments:

  1. i had the same feeling my first time when i went to sleep away camp. it is always hard going into a new environment and not knowing what to expect. But I really like how you kept going back and ended up loving every minute of camp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good that you learned to appreciate being where you are. I think it happens to a lot of us and when we get that realization we learn to take advantage of what's in front of us. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also went to a summer camp and I remember wanting to leave as soon as I got there. I remember that I had the worst cabin mates and the food was awful. The worst part about it was that it was a month long and I was sick of it by the end of the first week. I knew that my parents were paying a lot of money for me to go there, so I figured I would make the best out of the situation, similar to how you did in your story and actually ended up having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah I can totally relate, I get homesick too sometimes! I think it's great that you overcame your worries and went back for 7 years! I guess that shows that you're stronger than your fears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar experience with camp and not wanting to be there.But I truly believe in living in the moment because those experiences are always the best. You get so caught up in all the bad times and learn to enjoy the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah Banana, I really enjoy the last few sentences. I think they are very beautifully written and really portray the results of your summer camp as well as the results of your feelings towards living in the moment. Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camp is such a special thing and it can pass so fast. You really have to cherish every second you get to spend there because it ends way before you are ready to leave. I can totally relate to feeling s little distant in your first years of camp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know exactly how you felt and I actually wrote my post for this prompt on the same thing. However in your case you seized the moment and found that you could be happy in a place where you normally aren't comfortable. I on the other hand quit and went home so I am very jealous of you and happy that you were able to find joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this post because I can understand the feeling of missing home at camp but afterwords realizing how great the time was and living in the moment. At first it is tough to leave home but once you realize that it's not bad. You make new memories of where you are and you take them back home with you. What you understand is that in order to make those memories you need to live in the moment

    ReplyDelete
  11. i liked this because i am always hearing about camp experiences from my friends. Majority of my friends go to camp and when the come back i always here all about it and this reminded me of that. it shows how things can be totally different than you think they will be.

    ReplyDelete